17 March 2017

Plants and Pets Meet a DSLR Camera

Up until now I have been using my small digital camera, my iPad or my phone to take pictures for this blog. However, last Saturday we went on a"Take better photos with your D-SLR camera" course organised by Surrey Adult Learning which really opened my eyes to some of the features that are available on a DSLR (Digital Single-Lens Reflex) camera.

My favourite part of the workshop was when we were sent outside to have lunch and take some pictures and play with all the settings. I particularly enjoyed practising my photography on this Hebe plant, just seeing how the camera focuses and how close can I get to the plant to still see the detail without it all blurring up.


I couldn't wait to come home and start taking all the pictures that were forming in my head. One of the reasons I was so excited was because we had some very special animal visitors staying for the weekend - ten chicks that we hatched at school as a part of the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) fortnight.


We received ten eggs and all ten have hatched successfully, giving us five male and five female chickens. The little one below still has his egg tooth attached. It is the lighter extension on the tip of his beak. It helps the baby chicks breaks through the shell and peels off after a couple of days.


Ever since being hatched they worked extremely hard being observed, picked up, cuddled, showed in lessons and eagerly visited during break and lunchtimes.


No wonder they were tired! I loved looking at their little bodies all huddled together to keep warm, making up for the fact that their mother hen was replaced by a heating light bulb.



But of course when I played with my camera, I couldn't leave out Rocket! After all, she is the star of the household! Here she is stuffing her face with some lamb's lettuce.


And then dragging some lettuce stuck underneath her shell around the tortoise table. She's the cutest!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello you! Thank you for stopping by!

Every time I write a post it is like writing a letter to someone I might not yet know. Every comment I get is like getting a beautiful letter in my mail box. Please keep sending them, long or short, praise, advice, questions... Whatever they are they are always welcome (except for spam which is the unwelcome and will be destroyed by merciless deletion).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...